Usually, the main bottlenecks in an on-boarding process are the various softwared and programs required for the new recruit's computer. Whether if it's a developer, customer success engineer, or a product specialist, on average it takes about three days to get everything up and running. Also, this process generally requires help from other colleagues. The Tidy pack reduces the on-boarding process for new recruits to a matter of minutes. The Tidy pack uses Ansible to connect to the new recruit's laptop over ssh and executing predefined commands.
With the Tidy pack you can create a role-based playbook that will execute all required installations for the new recruit.
- Install languages with specific versions (currently Python, Node and Go are supported).
- Create a GitHub SSH key and clone all relevant git repositories.
- Install all relevant programs using homebrew.
- Install zsh and configure bash_profile / bash_rc.
- Install pyenv with specific Python versions.
- Install goenv with specific Go versions.
- Install nodenv with specific Node versions.
- Install packages on Mac-OS using homebrew.
- Generate a github ssh-key (a GitHub token is required - see here for instructions)
- Clone a git repository into a selected path, this command requires a github ssh key on the machine to work.
- Configure the git cli using key-value parameters in a selected scope.
- Install zsh on the machine.
- Edit a file, can be used to modify the configuration file or bash_profile file on the machine.
- Install OSx command line tools on the machine.
- Execute a command on the machine.