This playbook handles MITRE ATT&CK Techniques using intelligence-driven Courses of Action (COA) defined by Palo Alto Networks Unit 42 team. It utilizes each of the sub-playbooks for specific techniques that belong to this phase (tactic) according to the MITRE ATT&CK kill chain. The sub-playbook called depends on the technique input.
***Disclaimer: This playbook does not simulate an attack using the specified techniques, but follows the steps to remediation as defined by Palo Alto Networks Unit 42 team’s Actionable Threat Objects and Mitigations (ATOMs).
- TA0011: command and control
MITRE ATT&CK Description: The adversary is trying to communicate with compromised systems to control them.
Command and Control consists of techniques that adversaries may use to communicate with systems under their control within a victim network. Adversaries commonly attempt to mimic normal, expected traffic to avoid detection. There are many ways an adversary can establish command and control with various levels of stealth depending on the victim’s network structure and defenses.
Possible playbook triggers:
- The playbook can be used as a part of the “Courses of Action - Collection” playbook to remediate techniques based on kill chain phase.
- The playbook can be used as a part of the “MITRE ATT&CK - Courses of Action” playbook, that can be triggered by different sources and accepts the technique MITRE ATT&CK ID as an input.
This playbook uses the following sub-playbooks, integrations, and scripts.
- MITRE ATT&CK CoA - T1071 - Application Layer Protocol
- MITRE ATT&CK CoA - T1105 - Ingress tool transfer
- MITRE ATT&CK CoA - T1573.002 - Asymmetric Cryptography
This playbook does not use any integrations.
|technique||Mitre ATT&CK ID of a technique.||Optional|
|template||Template name to enforce WildFire best practices profile.||Optional|
|pre_post||Rules location. Can be 'pre-rulebase' or 'post-rulebase'. Mandatory for Panorama instances.||Optional|
|device-group||The device group for which to return addresses (Panorama instances).||Optional|
|tag||Tag for which to filter the rules.||Optional|
|Handled.Techniques||The techniques handled in this playbook||unknown|
|CC.ProductList||Products used for remediation.||unknown|